In recent years fermented food have become trendy and some regard them as superfoods. Fermented foods are not simply the latest craze, nor a fad. They have been around for...
200g red lentils
400g carrots, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 small tub plain soy yoghurt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
Salt and ground black pepper
- On a low heat, soften the onion in the oil with the cumin.
- Grate the zest of the oranges with a fine grater, reserving a teaspoon of long thin curls.
- Add the sliced carrots and the finely grated orange zest to the onions and soften for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and an appropriate amount of bouillon. Cook on a low heat for 30-40 minutes until the lentils and carrots are soft
- Meanwhile, toast the pumpkin seeds and roughly chop the coriander. Remove the soup from the heat. Squeeze the two oranges and add the juice to the soup. Blend the soup to the consistency of your choice.
- Serve the soup in wide bowls to allow for the swirl of soy yoghurt, and the scattering of coriander, pumpkin seeds, and curls of orange zest.